I’m showing you how I go through my creative process when creating cards. Very rarely does a card spring fully-formed from my head to my crafting table.
In my last post, I showed you how I colored two pieces of Petal Passion Designer Series Paper. Today, I will show you how I took the rainbow ombré-colored piece and made it into a card.
The first thing I did was let the colored piece rest overnight. This wasn’t to let ink dry or any other technical reason…I just wanted to let it sit in my brain to develop an idea of how to make it into a card.
With so much color and “activity” in the colored paper I knew I wanted to keep the additions pretty bold and simple. I decided to try a few large sentiment die-cuts. I wanted to tie in with a color that I’d used, so I chose our Red Glimmer Paper for some additional impact.
Here’s a tip for die-cutting the glimmer paper, especially if you want to use our Adhesive Sheets on the back: Peel off the plastic-y back layer of the paper. It’s the toughest part of the sheet to cut through. Once I’d done that I did add a piece of Adhesive Sheet since that’s the easiest way to affix words.
I cut 2 different sentiments to try: “celebrate” from the Celebrate You Thinlits in the Sale-A-Bration Brochure (FREE with $100+ purchase), and “friend” from the Lovely Words Thinlits in the Annual Catalog.
A Basic Black card base seemed most appropriate, and a strip of Basic Black for behind the sentiment.
I liked where it was going, but it needed something more. A layer of Real Red cardstock might just do it:
Too much Real Red, so I cut it down ⅛”. That’s more balanced, and I chose to use “celebrate”. No design reason per se, I just liked it better in that moment. Here is a design tip: I cut the Basic Black strip to fit between the horizontal stripes of the paper design…again helps it keep balanced.
Once I’d glued it all together I thought it needed just a touch more bling to dress it up, so I pulled out my Rhinestones. I tried coloring them with my Cherry Cobbler Stampin’ Blends Alcohol Markers, but the Light was too light and the Dark wasn’t bright enough. So I went for my Sharpies, and the red one was just right!
Here’s the final version:
In my next post I’ll show you what I made with the flower patterned paper I colored.